Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ravens, Whiteouts, Ray Lewis...and friends of Fattie

Reviewing my files I find my posting intervals this past year were sporadic and try and try as I might to be more consistent, when I find my life to be boring I'm not hustling to the internet to share all the dull drab hum drum moments with y'all. Besides, let's face it...you're reading my posts because they're funny, not because they are insightful treasites on war and peace and the new economy.  So have I lured you here to share another one of my unusually funny and self depricating tales? Nah, nope, nada, not really---well...maybe, hell I don't know..I mean I found it to be humorous. But then again I spend my life scanning for the funny in everything, don't you?

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL??? That's what my friend Laura B and I yelled as we traveled from DC on I-95 N towards M&T Bank Stadium to watch the Ravens and Jets on Sunday Night Football last week. Saying I was giddy with excitment was an understatement, I was SO excited I could barely speak to think (yeah I know that doesn't sound right - that's the point - DUH!!). I, Christina White, self professed female football geek, ESPN fantasy league winning, trash talking, Tom Brady lovin', LaDanian Tomlison draftin, Rex Ryan teasing, goddamn snack eatin', girl who knows the game cuz It's ON! Had never seen a primetime televised football game with all of it pomp and circumstance. So with our tickets in hand Laura B and bounced down Raven's Walk towards the stadium entrance...turning my head left to right as if it were on a swivel I thought to myself, let the football carnival begin. Beer stands, 80's bands, potato chips, passing challenges, photo booths, and gals wearing clothing that would make a hooker blush.  Our smiles grew wider and sheer glee took over, I couldn't believe it we were going to watch a Primetime NFL game up close and personal. As we entered the stadium, complete with obligatory girl on girl pat down, purse check, we exited the tunnel and headed to our seats. Lower level end zone thank you very much Mike N, Laura looked to me and asked, "is there a player I would know on the Ravens?" Yep, you read that right boys and girls, my football loving, friend for life, Laura B had no shame in sharing that she had failed to do her pre-game research and she felt confident enough to loudly and proudly let it be known 4 minutes before kick-off. You go girl!

And what a game it was - the stadium was electric (that phrase is overused, but seriously folks, it totally applies to M&T), there was Raven's black and hot pink (in commeration of breast cancer awareness month) everywhere I looked.  Glancing to my left I noticed the smoke filled the tunnel and faster than a blink of the eye onto to the field ran the Ravens...but wait, no so fast....one player remained.  More smoke, more pink, and then like floor seats at Lollapalooza ...Nellie starts singing over the loudspeakers...."I feel like bustin loose and I feel like touchin you..." and with one incredibly long one legged slide out of the smoke comes.....RAY LEWIS (seriously Laura, "who would I know?")....[For my readers with delicate temperments I apologize but there is no other phrasing that quite captures what happened next ]..the crowd went APE SHIT WILD. And if a camera would have panned to Section 107, Row 38 seats 1 and 2 it would have caught Laura B and I going bananas right along with them....this was AMAZING. Shaking out butts and tapping our feet we sing along, "It's getting hot in here..." and for the next 4 hours Laura B and I participated in one of the most exciting of America's past times, drinking beers, eating chicken fingers, watching football, heckling the other team, and dancing in the stands. 

The Jets gave the Ravens a run for their money but in the end the Ravens...MOVED THOSE CHAINS...way too many times and won 34-17. Let me just say Fall Out Boy would be pleased with the Marching Ravens rendition of I Don't Care.

WE ARE PENN STATE!

No comments: