Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Enjoying the Life I Live

I believe we all strive for an idealic life, to achieve those things that make us say, ah yes, it was for this I stayed home on Saturday nights, ate way too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and wore those black pants even after it was hard to technically call them black. Everyday since my fortieth birthday I lie in bed and in my most humble tone I say, "ok God today's the day, I'm ready."  Then I rise, full of hope and anticipation of the life I know I've yet to lead.  I know it because I dream it, at least once a week.  The specifics of my dream change from time to time but the core theme remains; me sitting/standing/laying with a smile from ear to ear because I know...I just know.

But until that day comes I'm determined to enjoy the life I live and last week I sure did. As many of you know I live in Southwest DC an exciting neighborhood benefiting from new investments, an influx of young residents, and the revival of waterfront entertainment venues.  My neighborhood is on the verge, but it's not quite there yet.  For starters, we're limited in our restaurant and neighborhood gathering places (that's code for bars).  So I often walk the mile and half over to Capitol Hill for dinner, drinks, and social interaction.  Last Wednesday I found the infamous Tune Inn (http://www.yelp.com/biz/tune-inn-washington) featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive- Ins, and Dives hosted by Guy Fieri. As I pulled up a stool at the super small but absolutely perfect bar I ordered the deep fried hamburger.  Yeah, I said it, I ordered a beer battered deep fried hamburger and lets just say that thing was TASTEY!!! I ran 4 miles the following day to assuage my guilt.  I mean take a look at this thing - how could it not be good?









By Saturday I was at it again, roaming the streets of DC, searching ...what was I looking for?  Was I trying to add another restaurant to my favorites list, maybe a bar where I'd feel comfortable sitting alone and chatting with the other patrons...or maybe, just maybe it's a bit of rythm that I was looking for.  And man did I find it, in Woodley Park.  The Zoo Bar (http://www.zoobardc.com/) is located across the street from the National Zoo my favorite panda place on earth.  I walked through the front and instantly felt comfortable.  The Zoo Bar had just the right amount of patrons, a tiny stage up front, and was loud enough to make you tap your feet and do your best chair dancing.  I arrived late enough to see the tiny aisle between the bar and tables turn into a dance floor. Saturday I was treated to the blues.  Flat Foot Sam & the Educated Fools, played for two rockin sets and when I said treat I mean it....check them out http://www.myspace.com/flatfootsamandtheeducatedfools/music. The Zoo Bar is the true DC blues experience featuring a great house band with guest harmonica and vocals. I wasn't lying Sue Gail when I said I'd come back - you bet your sweet bippie I will, I most definitely will.

I don't know was that me living my authentic life or just the space until it comes?  Meh, I don't know...but I think if I keep down this path that smile won't just be in my dreams.

No comments: